30 Days of Letting Go Challenge – Day 10
Let go of being responsible for other people’s feelings
I don’t know about you but it’s still hard for me, after all my 41 years of life, to do something I know is right if I think it’s going to hurt someone’s feelings. You know what I’m talking about, right? The lady in the PTA looks longingly at you wanting you to head up the bake sale the exact same week as your kids have been out with the flu and the boss wants double the work in half the time.
You just can’t say no, though. It will crush her! But guess what? It will crush both of you if you say yes! If you agree to do something you know very well you do not have time for, several bad things will happen:
- You will do a very poor job of running said bake sale.
- You will resent the poor woman who talked you into it.
- She will not like you very much because of 1 and 2.
- You may crack under the pressure and leave her hanging at the last minute.
Those are just a few of the things that often come from such situations. Now consider what would happen if you politely turned her down.
- She’ll be disappointed but I guarantee you, she’ll get over it. And if you offer to help her find someone else she will love you!
- She will likely respect you in the end for knowing your limits and being honest with her.
- You will respect yourself for standing up for your needs and your family and boss will be better off, as well!
You get the idea! Take care of yourself today! Lend a helping hand where you can but do not take on other people’s problems. Those are for them to learn and grow with! 🙂
I love you guys! Thank you for reading! Have a beautiful and joy filled day!